Friday, February 17, 2012

Fan correspondence and thoughts of the future

  What a wonderful thing technology can be...It truly is amazing how we can communicate around the world with such ease and speed. I've said it before, and I'll say it again- in all reality, I'm just a normal person from a small town in East Texas. Soon after signing on for Cannonball II, I started this blog. Until now, I'd never really been able to sit down at a computer and type out my thoughts into some sort of form. After the first few posts, I've found it easier and easier to put my thoughts onto "e-paper," and now have actually come to really enjoy the blogging part of this lifetime journey.

  A few posts back, I had mentioned the analytics features of this blogging software that I'm using, and how impressive it was that my humble words were reaching an audience of global proportions. From this online journal, I've also been getting a lot of feedback recently. As an amateur, getting the perspective of my audience is really helpful. Recently my blogger email account has been filling up with messages offering pointers, critiques, and plenty of support. I'm hoping that by hearing from the audience, I can become a better blogger and keep you all informed without boring you.

  One email that stuck out in my mind came just a few days ago, from a place far, far away from the pine forests of East Texas. James McGovern from Melbourne, Australia says this:

     "Hi Buck, just wanted to drop you a note and let you know how wonderful it is that you're keeping vintage  motorcycles alive by participating in the race across America. You really should think about writing a book chronicling your adventures. You've got a bunch of fans supporting you here down under. If you're ever in this part of the world, let me know- my friends and I would like to buy you a drink. -James"

  Now, a message like that means a lot to me. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would find friends on the other side of the world rooting for me like this. And to recommend writing a book? Sheer madness-no one would want to publish a few hundred pages of my babbling. However the more I thought about it, the more the idea has grown in my mind. Since I'm already writing this to document my preparations, and have been planning on keeping a journal during the event......why not write a book? The motivation would, of course, be to have something to hold onto forever and not be profit-driven. After talking to Mrs. Cris Simmons, who rode her pre-1916 Harley Davidson in Cannonball I and has just written her own book on the event, I'm kind of thinking it would be worth my while to do. Would love to hear what you readers think....would you be interested in a book about my motorcycling adventures?


Mrs. Simmons, riding her pre-1916 Harley in Cannonball I---That's one tough lady!


Buck Carson
Confirmed Cannonballer # 3
Carson Classic Motors Race Team

No comments:

Post a Comment