Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Publicity, Sponsorships, and Updates

  Four days into 2012, and I'm already starting to feel the faintest tingling of stress. So much to do, and so little time! Oh well, life isn't complete without a bit of stress. Besides, I know that everything will most definitely work out. So many friends, neighbors, and loved ones have come forward to offer their support. It really is amazing how many people have been excited by the Cannonball. Trust me, when our collection and restoration of antique machines started I never would have believed that an event like this would become a reality.

  So in my last big post "Thoughts and Musings," I mentioned that we are beginning to push for local and national sponsorships for the CCM team. It's pretty interesting how much can go on in just a few short days, because as of today we have been offered another sponsorship. I've also been at work on the brochure and creating the list of possible sponsors. The idea behind the brochures and meetings is to give the feeling of a "first class presentation." Someone once said "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right."

  Anyway, with that exciting news, I digress into upcoming events. Next week my dad and I will be attending the series of motorcycle auctions in Las Vegas, Nevada. It looks like Mid America Auctions, Auctions America, and Bonhams and Butterfields will all be vying for the attention of buyers in Sin City. We've been going for several years now and regardless of whether or not we find something that tickles our fancy, it always proves to be a wonderful time. Hopefully we will see some old friends out there and get the chance to catch up. I'm also hoping to be able to promote the 2012 Motorcycle Cannonball at these auctions, and get the attention of many people at once.

  I would really like to help get the word out about the Cannonball- simply because it's just such a neat event. We usually wind up being invited out to participate in a few motorcycle shows throughout the year, and it kind of amazed me that so few people had heard of the first Cannonball. The 1911 Triumph I originally planned on entering usually draws a crowd of people at these shows, and everyone is always very interested in learning about the CB run. It seems that over the past few years everyone's interest has been in antique and vintage automobiles rather than two-wheeled machines. So I figure, why not publicize the hell out of 50-60 crazy people like myself who want to run their antiques across a continent? Obviously any publicity should be "first class" as well, so I suppose in addition to coming up with a brochure, some sort of press release or summary of the event should be necessary. Hopefully I can get something together over the next few days to coincide with the brochure.

  This afternoon, I also received word back from Guinness World Records. After examining the proposal, the organization has decided that the attempt is ineligible because it is too broad. Which, probably makes sense. But as I said in the first post, publicity or not, we press on. For me, the opportunity to make or break a record, or attract media attention is simply a bonus. The Cannonball is happening regardless, and I am so unbelievably excited that it becomes hard to focus on other things. In just a few short months, my team and I get to have a one-of-a-kind experience. I know for a fact that we will walk away from the event with memories and friendships of a lifetime- which, in the scheme of things, is really all one can ask for. Certainly there are people out there who will not understand our passion for it, nor my over-excitement, but I chalk that up to a small amount of interest in the area of antique motoring. And that, my friends, is what we are attempting to change.

  More on the publicity and sponsorship drive soon.. I plan on posting a copy of the brochure once it is finally finished- though it is in my humble hopes that I'm not boring anyone. This is the first venture into blogging for me, and I really would love to know what my viewers and followers would like to see. Am I posting too much or too little of one thing? Comments and feedback are greatly appreciated, just as sharing this blog to your friends would be wonderful. On that note, that's probably enough for this time. Can't have you all falling asleep at the computer. Once again if anyone would like to find out more information about sponsorships, or has contacts within the media, please feel free to shoot us an email at carsonclassicmotors@yahoo.com.

Warm regards,

Buck Carson
Confirmed Cannonballer # 3
Carson Classic Motors Race Team

No comments:

Post a Comment