Thursday, May 17, 2012

Back in Business (Cannonball BSA Arrival)

Hi all. I know it's been several weeks since my last post, and I apologize for keeping everyone in the dark on the "goings on." These last few weeks have been jam packed with milestones and progress. To update everyone, I'll go ahead and break everything down into a few posts. Without further adieu, I present "Cannonball BSA Arrival."


  I'll always remember May 2nd, 2012 as the day I fell in love--with an 85 year old woman. This day marked the first time I saw my Motorcycle Cannonball entry. Now, the process to get a motorcycle shipped to the US is not exactly quick, easy, or fun, but in this case was a necessity to make my Cannonball dreams come true. After several weeks of price shopping and comparison, we actually found a pretty good deal for air freight. You can probably imagine my excitement was pretty hard to contain. The seven days that it took to collect the bike, crate it, and ready for shipment seemed more along the lines of two months!

  Anyway, after a few more days of shipping and clearing through United States Customs (don't even ask me how much of a hassle the government red tape is.....) I finally received the call that she was free for pickup and ready to come home.


She came in a BMW crate...if it's good enough to hold the
 "Ultimate Driving Machine", it'll hold my BSA.

Just before uncrating...Notice my protective footwear and headgear?

Didn't even move an inch in the crate


Seeing the light of day

  It was definitely hard not to rip the crate open like a little kid on Christmas. Luckily, nothing had moved during the 4,500 mile journey and she was completely secure. The hardest thing to do (and still is to this day) was to wipe the smile off of my face. I realize that in the scheme of things, this is probably a pretty small event, and maybe not the most important to the overall event, but I was really proud and excited to receive my BSA. It marked the end of a long journey- from the decision in December to enter the race, to finding the bike, to all of the long emails back and forth with Ken and Phil about the rebuild, and of course, the wait.

Finally home



Till Next Time,

Buck Carson
Confirmed Cannonballer # 3
Carson Classic Motors Race Team

No comments:

Post a Comment